Futile charges are applied when a driver has attempted the pick up or delivery of a job but isn't able to.
The customer will be liable to pay a futile pick up fee if:
- no one is available to dispatch the goods on the nominated pick up date and time;
- the Carrier’s driver refuses to pick up because the consignment label is not attached to the goods;
- the Carrier’s driver refuses pick up because the goods are not packaged correctly to withstand transportation, and there is a likelihood of damage occurring to the goods;
- the sender will not release the goods to the Carrier’s driver on the nominated pick up date and time; and
- the consignment is outside the Carrier’s freight profile specifications.
The customer will be liable to pay a futile delivery fee if:
- no one is available to receive the goods on the nominated delivery date and time, and Authority to Leave (ATL) has not been requested;
- the receiver refuses or rejects freight for whatever reason receiver has advised the driver (e.g. wrong freight, freight not ordered, missing paperwork, redirection requested, etc.); and
- the driver attempts to deliver freight but was unable to find the delivery address due to wrong details indicated by booking person.
The rates for the futile fees vary, depending on the carrier.
A separate invoice will be generated and sent to the customer for these charges, if applicable. The customer is required to settle the outstanding futile fee invoice, unless in dispute, before any further request to proceed an existing job can be actioned.